SK treble

Saturday 7th March 2020

720. Cromley Road 
Stockport Georgians 4-1 Hindsford
Manchester FL - Premier Division
(7th v 2nd Matchday 20)
2pm ko

 Stockport Georgians football club originated from St. George’s Church on Buxton Road in 1908, games were played at a ground on Nangreave Road in Heaviley in the Stockport Sunday League. They enjoyed a successful period during the 1920’s winning the Stockport League in the '26 and 1927 seasons.

The club moved to their current location in 1931 and around the same time joined the Lancashire & Cheshire League.
In 1987 the club absorbed Adswood Amateurs, taking their place in the Manchester League, which they have since won on three occasions -  1987-88, 2001-02 and 2014-15   
Cromley Road

The ground is fully enclosed with a covered terrace in the corner next to the changing rooms. There's dugouts on each side with the clubhouse situated near the entrance. 

A bad tempered affair saw the host race into a three goal lead. Sam Noar fired home from a right wing cross in the 10th minute, followed by Sam John tapping home a rebounded shot, before Mike Taylor adding a third from the penalty spot. The first half came to an abrupt end when a bad tackle on Sam Noar, saw him carted off to hospital in a car during the half-time break.
A red card was finally shown in the 55th minute when the Hindsford number 9 was dismissed for another nasty challenge. Taylor added his second with a cracking finish on 77 minutes, before a late consolation for the visitors.
An eventful afternoon was rounded off by a substituted Hindsford player going raggie and ended up having fisty cuffs with the team coach inside the dugout -  so overall a great afternoon's entertainment| 

Matchday Stats
SGFC 4(Noar 10 John 17 Taylor 34pen,77)
HFC 1(#18 81)
Free Admission 
Pin badge £2.50

721 Cheadle Heath Sports Club
Cheadle Heath Nomads 1-5 Stockport Town 
NWCL Division One South
(11th v 10th Matchday 29)
4.20pm ko

The club formed as a merger of Linotype FC and Cheadle Heath Nomads in 2004.
They played in the Mid-Cheshire League and the renamed Cheshire League from their formation, winning the Premier Division title in 2014-15 and finishing runners-up the following year. The club stepped up to the North West Counties League for the 2018-19 season, in the Division One South Division.  

Proseal Stadium 
The Heath
Norbreck Avenue 

The ground has a small covered enclosure, seated stand and dugout situated on the far side. The pavilion is on the opposite side along from the turnstile entrance.

 Stockport Town blitzed the hosts in the opening twenty minutes. Jardel Depeiaza grabbed the opener within two minutes, followed by a nice curled shot from Tyler Furguson ten minutes later. Chris Middleton had a simple tap in, before Depeiaza produced a mazzy run and a good finish to make it 4-0.
Kyle Foley pulled a goal back just before the hour mark before Depeiaza grabbed his hat-trick with the simplest goal he'll ever score, knocking in the fifth a few inches from the goal line.

Matchday Stats
CHNFC 1(Foley 55)
STFC 5(Depeiaza 2,20,70 Furguson 12 Middleton 19) 
Admission £5

722. Park Road
Cheadle Town 2-1 Maine Road
NWCL Division One South
(8th v 9th Matchday 29)
7.30pm ko
 The story of Cheadle Town began in 1961 when a 14-year-old kid called Barrie Dean asked his neighbour, Chris Davies, to help his pals form a football team. This team was named Grasmere Rovers after Grasmere Avenue, the street they both lived. Chris took on the role of team manager, playing their first match in September 1961.

The club played Sunday football in the Manchester Junior Football League before switching to Saturday’s, joining the Manchester League in 1972. The club were league champions in 1979-80 and won three cup finals during that all-conquering season.
The club became Cheadle Town when they joined the NWCL in 1983-84.
Park Road 
The ground is dominated by a large main stand which is split between two sections of seats with a standing terrace at the rear. The changing rooms and clubhouse sit along side the stand, with the rest of the ground open with hard standing behind the goals and far side.

Patrick Davin scored a goal in each half to give the hosts all three points. He fired in the opening in the 19th minute before deflecting the ball into the net early in the second half to make it 2-0. Ben Moody halved the deficit with five minutes remaining but Town easily held on for the win.

Matchday Stats
CTFC 2(Davin 20,47)
MRFC 1(Moody 84)
Admission £5
Coffee £1

321 mile round trip doors-to-doors.
I drove to Katie and Lee's for a 9am departure from Houghton, travelling as a passenger in Blossom along with Connor, who we picked up off the A19 at Peterlee.
As per usual,we started our day off in a JDW, driving directly to The Kingfisher in Poynton for pre-match lunch. In between the two matches in Cheadle we called to the Gateway in East Didsbury, which is also GBG listed, which isn't surprising as the two ales I supped were both top class. 
An enjoyable and eventful day which included a barney in a dugout, a spooky walk through a graveyard, a flying pint of ale and a near fatal dunsh, which would have seen an ambulance, a hospital and definitely the end of the road for Blossom. This trip was sadly the last one from the North-East Groundhopping Contingent for a while, as Katie heads back to her roots tomorrow for a two month break to see her family back in New Zealand. Happy trails and hopefully some Kiwi ground for her to tick off while she's away. x.

No comments: